Monday, February 6, 2012

2012 Plans

It's taking me a while to get my plans for the year together.  A few factors are at work:
  • I don't actually know what's realistic, due to my continuing adjustment to my new environment. That probably won't change anytime soon, and will necessitate adjustments on the fly, so this post may not be any more than rumination.
  • What the children will be doing this summer and how I will continue to work while they are not in school is still unknown, though more daylight will always help me here. I don't have a problem with getting up early as long as it's not pitch dark.
  • Taekwondo--it appeared almost of out the blue, but now it's a fixture.
I've started mapping out some races I'm interested in and when I need to start training for each.  On a whim I registered for the Bolder Boulder 10k a while back, because I've wanted to run it for quite a while. That's on Memorial Day. 

I'm eying a couple of fall off-road triathlons, which would facilitate deferment of the road bike purchase for another year.  I haven't decided whether to make one an Oly or just stick to the sprints this year.

I've been planning for a fall half, just thinking that I'm not ready for marathon training this year (maybe next?). I'd like to train up and run a fast (for me) race in Ft. Wayne, but I don't know whether that's realistic. I probably won't know until well after training is underway, so I'm probably going to target a local race as well, and see how it's going.  If I stay here, I'll probably do a trail race, since there are several choices, and that's where I like to train. I don't know what the consequences of training on trails and racing on roads are, but I guess I'll find out one of these times.

I've decided it's probably not worth setting any time goals now, and I may not at all (right!). I thought about trying to follow the FIRST plan, but have decided that just doing a variety of things (triathlon training and taekwondo) in addition to running and becoming more broadly fit and strong is the better plan while still adjusting, rather than trying to get faster. I'm sure things will take shape and then change along the way.