Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 in Review

Yeah, it's late, so?  Happy New Year.  Here's a wrap-up of 2011.  My plans for 2012 will be along shortly.

Good: I got my first age group award, 2nd at the Old School 4 Mile in April!
Bad: I ran my fewest yearly miles in several--going back to when the boys were babies. I think my longest run was 9 miles, which I did twice. This makes me sad.

Good: I ran three fun races this year, all Chicago Trail Series events--I loved them!
Less good: I found out that those "trails" weren't really very much like TRAILS. NOW I run on trails, and that's a good thing.

Good: I led the Lakefront 10 CARA training this spring.
Not so good: I miss running with a group, even if I only did it for brief stretches.

Good: We moved to a place where I don't worry about dangerous people when I'm out running and riding.
Not so good: I'm afraid to run early in the mornings and at dusk because there are wild animals around looking for food at those times. And biking here is HARD.

Good: My return to triathlon!
Less good: I meant for it to be in 2011, but our relocation to Colorado blew a pretty big hole in the year. I'm still looking forward to getting back into it, but I still need a bike.

Good: I took a triathlon swimming class in the spring.
Bad: I didn't really get to practice what I learned to reinforce it.

Good: We now live very close to a swimming pool!
Less good: It's outdoors, so it's not open all year round.

Good: There's yoga in our neighborhood!
Less good: The conflict with the boys' hockey schedule has caused me to miss it more than I'd like, but that won't be a problem by March.

Good: My thighs and butt are getting a lot stronger from running up and down hills, and I'm feeling more comfortable at 7600'.
Less good: Running here has been hard and discouraging, and some of my pants don't fit as well as they used to.

Good: I'm finally learning to ski!  Lessons have felt pretty easy.
Bad: I'm typing this with one hand because I tweaked my wrist a few days ago when I tried a run I wasn't ready for.

That's my year in a nutshell.