So I'm rolling along on my sad little 5k program. It is really humbling for me to take walking breaks on such short runs, but I am completing each one, and the running intervals are getting longer and more numerous while the walks are staying the same length. One progress highlight: my quads are getting (visibly) stronger. Yes, my thighs are bigger, and I'm wishing I'd measured them when we arrived for the sake of comparison. At first I thought that less mileage (and consequent weight gain) was to blame, but it is not blubber, and T has commented that my butt is feeling harder too, so I think I'm finally getting somewhere.
Winter has sort of arrived, or at least the snow has. We've now had three snows, and these weren't the early-season dusting type I grew up with. These have been 5+ inches each. I have been too nervous about what I can't see under the snow to try the trails after a snow, so I've been on the roads, which means long uphill and downhill stretches (trails are more varied). Fortunately, the snow has melted within a few days, but we got a batch Wednesday, which isn't melting very fast, and more is to come tonight or tomorrow.
In other news, I stubbed my right big toe pretty fiercely Wednesday night. I've been icing it and taking Advil, and it is getting to be an ugly purple. I don't want to make it worse, so I haven't run since Wednesday morning, and skipped yoga last night. We'll see about the weekend--I want it to get better soon! Meanwhile, I should be doing those core exercises I've been meaning to get around to.