Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bike the Drive

Sunday, 5/29, was Bike the Drive, an opportunity to ride a bike on Lake Shore Drive without cars.  I'd say it's an annual opportunity, but a person probably could've taken a bike out on LSD after the blizzard before it was open to traffic in February.  One can also bike on Lake Shore Drive as a participant in the Chicago Triathlon, but there are cars on it then as well.

Sunday morning was cool, foggy and misty.   My plans for taking cool photos of the downtown skyline and landmarks and miles of car-free bikes-only LSD was thoroughly foiled, but I did take a few pictures.

I wasn't sure whether I could ride the whole distance, not having ridden more than 10 or so miles at a shot this year.  For that matter, I don't know if I'd ever ridden 30 miles before...  So I left feeling flexible, and took my el card with me in case of a disastrous change in weather or just wearing out 15 miles from home.  It actually was just fine.  I started at Bryn Mawr, the northern rest area/entry point, went at a leisurely pace, stopped at the rest area set up downtown for a snack and some air, and continued to the Museum of Science and Industry.  There I got some more food (they had Oreos!) and hit the port-a-potty.  On my way back, I stopped by Soldier Field for a foggy picture of the stadium with a UFO parked in it (or is that the Love Boat?).



The fog was a little less dense down south, but it misted on and off throughout the ride.  I decided that rather than exit at Lawrence and go home that I'd go all the way to the northern turnaround at Hollywood so I could say I did the whole thing.  Then I headed for home, pretty well soaked by that time.  My legs felt tired, but surprisingly (to me) decent!  I am accustomed to a multi-hour outing of exercise to result in some pain, but that really didn't happen to me.  My legs definitely felt tired the next couple of times I ran, but I got to experience the appeal of low-impact endurance exercise.