This weekend I was in Wisconsin for work, but the highlight of the trip for me was my run on Saturday morning (sorry work!). I ran from our hotel in Middleton on a trail that met the Pheasant Branch Trail, on which I ran to the Pheasant Branch Conservancy. I ran a roughly 5-mile loop around the conservancy and back, for a total of just over 10 miles. The Middleton Trails System is extensive, and there are many places where maps are posted, which is helpful. The city's website has descriptions and pictures, but has not been recently updated.
The trail to the conservancy had been paved since I last ran on it two or so years ago, but there is still gravel alongside, which I ran on when not too weedy. There are several creek crossings, which have bridges, but also concrete stepping stones in the water. Or they were concrete blocks for some other purpose (keeping giant floating things from traveling?) but I used them to cross--way more fun than any old bridge. At one crossing I met a mallard duck couple.
The conservancy was quite a treat for me. Some of it was wooded, some of it was more prairie-like, and it was more rolling and hilly than I am used to (not that that's saying much). I took a grassy side trail (hiking only) up to an overlook, though most of the trail was open to bikes, and dogs. I saw a number of bunnies, some tall walking birds that I still haven't identified, and a little pond with bubbling springs. There were some interpretive signs here and there that told about the history of the area, including how the Ho-Chunk people unwittingly gave it all away to the white government by signing a treaty. There used to be effigy mounds there, which were flattened for agricultural purposes. The marsh there has had various alterations over the years to control the water there, but they seem to be trying to let it all go back to its natural state.
The conservancy is conveniently located across a road from the only suburban neighborhood that ever appealed to me, Middleton Hills. This neighborhood was carefully designed in a very anti-sprawl fashion, and is intentionally pedestrian- and bike-friendly. I can actually picture myself living there, as long as I could have an outdoor clothesline, rain barrel, compost and the other crunchy trappings I want so much.
It was humid, but not hot, and I decided that I was going to stop and read signs, see all the scenery, and generally enjoy myself, so it was probably the slowest run of the year, in addition to the most scenic. I also wore my orthotics for the entire 10 miles, and it was only their second run! I felt achy here and there afterward, but my knees felt very good! Remembering how they and my shoes felt after I took them out during the prior run motivated me to just deal with a bit of foot discomfort.
I was thinking as I ran that I hoped that everyone running there who does so regularly should be thankful for such a great "everyday" route. I know I am thankful to run along wonderful Lake Michigan for most of my runs, but this change of scenery was definitely a memorable one for me.